Friday, February 4, 2011

Romania!

So, it's official.  I have decided to go to Romania!  I am super excited, and a bit scared.  Ok, maybe a lot scared.  I have been thinking and praying about it a lot, and finally decided I am going.  Just to share what exactly is going on, I will tell you a bit about the internship.  There is a group of ten of us (BYU students) going, eight girls and two guys.  We will be leaving around May 9 and coming back around August 2, the dates aren't set yet, but those are the approximate dates.  We will be living in a city called Iasi, pronounced "yawsh", which is the second largest city in Romania (the first being the capital, Bucharest).  While we are there we will be working in an orphanage and a hospital.  This entails providing the children with the attention and care that they do not normally receive day to day (the nurses just go in to give them shots and such).  The majority of the children have physical deformities, and many have serious medical and mental conditions.  Also they have attachment disorders and are not socially/emotionally developed, because of the lack of human contact they receive.  Basically we are there to provide that human contact that they both need and deserve.  Because it is an internship, not a study abroad, there will not be any professors coming with us, but there will be a student facilitator (a student who has gone before) and a Romanian woman, who works in the orphanage, who is hired by BYU to kind of help us out with the language and culture.  I have already started learning Romanian (it is a romantic language, so my little spanish kind of helps).  The internship counts as nine credits, and it will be the "capstone" to my major.  So, after the internship I will be able to graduate.  I will technically graduate in August, but I am hoping to walk in April (I'm waiting to hear back from my advisor about this).  So...that is pretty much it.  If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask.  I am super excited about it.
Just as a side note, Rosie, Janna and I started a youtube channel together.  Check it out:      http://www.youtube.com/user/AllTogetherSisters 
I love you all, and thanks for your comments and your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment